Question of the Week Archive
- How do I find out if I live within the Tualatin Hills district?
- What is THPRD's refund policy?
- What do I need to prove I am an in-district resident?
- What is your policy for parental class observation?
- How do I submit a request for a class I would like to see?
- I am a senior who lives out of district. I pay my assessment, so why don't I get the senior discount?
- Does a frequent user pass get class privileges? In other words, if I have a pass, do I still have to pay for a Pilates class?
- I'd like to purchase a class as a gift for a friend. Does THPRD sell gift cards?
- Do THPRD facilities have Wi-Fi internet access?
- I'd like to teach a new class at a THPRD recreation center. How can I make this happen?
Thanks for your interest. We have a handy tool on our Web site. Just click on this link and it will take you there. All you'll have to do is fill in your current address, press "Go" and the system will do the rest.
A second option to find out whether you're in-district is to call our main number at 503/645-6433 or stop by our Administration Office at 15707 SW Walker Road, Beaverton, OR 97006. We'd be glad to help.
When THPRD cancels or postpones a class, or the participant requests to drop or change a class at least 48 hours before the first class meeting, the total fee will be credited into your THPRD account. When the participant requests to drop or change a class less than 48 hours before the first class (or after the first class), no credit will be applied.
If you own your home, your name will need to match Washington County's database as owner of the in-district property. You'll also need a government-issued ID with photo (driver's license, military ID or passport). If you rent, you'll need a government-issued ID with a photo and a current utility bill or rental agreement.
As a rule, THPRD facilities invite parents to observe class from inside the classroom on the first and last day. Other, in-room observance is discouraged to allow for the best instructional atmosphere for the child.
The best way to submit a request is directly to your local THPRD facility, particularly that facility's supervisor. You can also e-mail your suggestion to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The THPRD Board of Directors decided some time ago that only in-district seniors should be entitled to the senior discount. Their rationale was that the discount is funded through a subsidy provided by in-district residents and therefore should be offered only to qualifying people who likewise live in the district.
In addition, THPRD gives priority to in-district seniors because they support the Park District through the annual property taxes they pay. Out-of-district seniors pay the assessment fee to participate in district programs but the fee is typically less than the average property taxes paid annually by in-district seniors.
One option you might consider taking advantage of is voluntary annexation to the Park District. Each year in July, we extend a special offer to out-of-district residents living within THPRDs ultimate service area. During this period, which ends in September, we pay all processing fees for applicants. Your application, if approved, would entitle you to all the benefits of in-district status, including the senior discount. Please note you would pay annual property taxes but no longer have to pay the assessment fee.
The frequent user pass is only valid for drop-in activities that do not require an instructor (for example, open swim, family swim, lap swim, pickup basketball, cardio/weight rooms and the indoor track at the Athletic Center.) It does not provide a discount for any of our instructor-led classes.
Yes! THPRD Gift Cards are redeemable for classes, passes, drop-in activities, tennis reservations or assessments at any THPRD facility. Gift Cards make the perfect gift for any occasion and can be purchased at our recreation centers or online for any amount over $1.
Note: Orders for new gift cards take 3-5 days to process and must be activated by phone after they are received. If you wish to purchase a gift card for a class registration, the purchase should be completed at least 10 days prior to the registration date.
In many facilities, we do.
Visitors to buildings within THPRD’s Howard M. Terpenning Recreation Complex at 158th and Walker Road – which includes the Tualatin Hills Tennis Center, Tualatin Hills Athletic Center, Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center and THPRD Administration Office – may connect to our wireless public network (Wi-Fi), which is identified as “THPRD HMT”.
Public Wi-Fi networks are also in place at the Tualatin Hills Nature Park and Cedar Hills Recreation Center.
Where available, Wi-Fi service is provided as a no-cost convenience to our patrons.
Please be mindful of the following:
- As with any unsecured public network, please use with caution.
- The speed of the network may slow during peak traffic periods.
- We are unable to provide technical support for computers or mobile devices.
We are always interested in adding qualified and passionate instructors to the THPRD team.
We recruit instructors for many of our most popular classes via job postings at THPRD facilities (and also posted here). Many of our specialty classes are taught by instructors who have contacted us with a specific interest in teaching a subject they are passionate about.
If you want to share your passion, here’s how:
- Request a meeting with the center supervisor and/or a program coordinator at the recreation center that you feel is the best fit for your course.
- If a meeting is granted, it means we want to hear your course proposal. Be mindful of the center’s business hours and clientele, as well as space and budget limitations.
- You may be asked to provide a resume of your teaching experience, references, a lesson plan (including objectives and outcomes), a demonstration of the skill you intend to teach, and the recommended cost and class segments for your course.
- Be prepared to make your pitch at least six months in advance of the period in which you intend to teach, so we may list your class in our activities guide.
If your pitch is successful and your listed class meets enrollment minimums, congratulations! You’ll have a chance to share your special talent with THPRD patrons as a part-time instructor or contractor.
This page was last updated on Monday November 25 2013 at 9:12 AM.