Beaverton Swim Center
Back & Arthritis Exercise
Got Pain? Increase Mobility and flexibility. Water walking, stretching, range of motion, mild aerobics and more. If you have back problems, surgery, arthritis, fibromyalgia, or other pain issues this is the class for you. This class is also good for anyone needing increased flexibiity and toning. (level2-3)
Specialized Aquatic Instruction (formerly Developmentally Delayed & Physically Limited Swimming)
This is an instruction program for all ages and abilities. Staff and volunteers work with participants one-on-one. ADA water entry lift available.
Prerequisite: 25 yards front crawl and 25 yards backstroke. All ages welcome.
Levels 1 and 2: This beginning class is designed to teach basic diving postures and positions and elementary jumps and dives.
Levels 3 and 4: Intermediate class for continuing divers. Skills taught include forward approach, additional back and front dives and beginning somersaults.
Junior Lifeguard / Junior Swim Instructor Program
Participants must be 12-15 years old & Level 4+. They will be introduced to self-rescue, elementary assists, lifeguard skills, elementary instructional skills and may assist in lifeguarding and instruction.
This course focuses on the job of a lifeguard in a swimming pool environment. The class will emphasize victim recognition, surveillance, equipment-based rescues and includes First Aid and CPR for the professional rescuer. Must be 15 years or older to participate.
Prerequisites required (level 5+):
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object while keeping your face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Attend all class hours.
Successfully complete all required skill testing in CPR for the professional rescuer, AED, first aid and lifeguarding.
Score at least 80 percent on written exam.
Special Olympics swim practice at Beaverton Swim Center, 503/629-6312. Or the Sunset Swim Center, 503/629-6315. To register with the Washington County Special Olympics, call 503/641-1433 (fall season only).
Splash (Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer too!)
A recreational swim team for children ages 5-17 years. Recreational swim team. Must be able to swim 25yds front crawl, 25yds back crawl.
Synchronized swimming is the execution of precision movements above and beneath the water to music. Must have at least Level 5 swimming ability.
This page was last updated on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 12:44 PM.