*Dec. 9 update: THPRD assigns names to three new park sites*
The Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District (THPRD) Board of Directors will consider naming a newly acquired park site within South Beaverton to Steeplechase Park at their public meeting scheduled for December 7th, 2015.
The site is a 1.2 acre neighborhood park centrally located at the corner of SW Weir Road and SW Old Weir Road. The park offers recreational amenities including a play equipment, picnic areas and open lawn areas. A vicinity map showing this neighborhood park location is provided above.
Based on the park name suggestions received during THPRD’s public outreach period in September and October 2015, and in consideration of THPRD’s District Compiled Policies for Naming of District Property, and 2013 Comprehensive Plan, district staff is recommending that the Board of Directors name the park site Steeplechase Park.
The public is invited to submit written comment on the recommended name of Steeplechase Park for the board’s consideration. To be fully considered by the board, comments should be received by November 13th, 2015, at 4 pm. Please submit written comment via one of these methods:
- Via THPRD.org’s contact form (topic: park planning)
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hand-deliver to Matt Kilmartin of THPRD’s Design & Development Department at 6220 SW 112th Avenue, Suite 100, Beaverton, OR 97008
In accordance with THPRD’s District Compiled Policies for Naming of District Property and the 2013 Comprehensive Plan, the recommended name shall:
- Adhere to the classifications of district properties established in the Comprehensive Plan and to the trail types and names established in the Trails Functional Plan.
- Consider the site location and history, have historical, cultural or social significance, and commemorate places, people or events of importance.
- Engender a strong positive image and have symbolic value that enhances the site character and identity.
If you have any questions, please contact Matt Kilmartin at 503-614-4010 or email@example.com.