Date & Time: 06/24/12, 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Event Address: Fanno Creek Trail, Beaverton, OR
Contact Phone: 503/645-6433
Location: Beaverton Neighborhoods
Bus Route(s): N/A
Join THPRD for our first Sunday Trailways, featuring more than four miles of fun, fitness and activity along the Fanno Creek Trail.
This grand opening event will showcase the completed Fanno Creek Regional Trail (map) to neighbors and outdoor enthusiasts of all ages and activity levels. Fanno Creek Trail provides transportation, recreation and a gateway to several of Washington County's green and historic areas, including Greenway Park, Vista Brook Park and the Fanno Farmhouse.
Don't miss an afternoon of activities, environmental education and recreation in celebration of a beautiful trail that connects neighbors, promotes healthy living and provides a safe, off-street route for non-motorized travelers.
We will have live music from Trashcan Joe at Greenway Park from noon-3 p.m. Basic bike inspection and a quick tune station will be provided by Riders and Sliders, also at Greenway Park.
Enthusiastic, outgoing volunteers are needed to help on the trail and at activity centers along the Fanno Creek trail. Come out and help THPRD staff and the community celebrate trails! A variety of volunteer shifts and activities are available throughout the four miles of fun and fitness. Volunteers will receive a T-shirt and swag bag. Snacks and water will be provided. See online application and full position descriptions.
Join us in FUN activities at these selected points along the route:
Garden Home Recreation Center
- Join Radio Disney's AM1640 Road Crew for great entertainment, dancing, games and prizes. Learn the Perry the Platypus Walk (as seen on the Disney Channel), hoop-it-up with Hula Hoop basketball, or answer fun Disney trivia questions as part of an in-car scavenger hunt for the chance to win a Radio Disney Deluxe Prize Pack, powered by Toyota. Spin the Radio Disney Prize Wheel while listening to the Top 30 songs played on Radio Disney.
- Explore new fitness activities at instructor-led athletic stations
- Get a body fat/fitness assessment from a THPRD personal trainer
- Visit the kids' station with face painting, kick-the-can, ice cream making, hoop shoot and other games and activities
- Stop by a THPRD information booth and pick up a route map to guide you along the trail.
Vista Brook Park
Cul de Sac at 105th - 11:00 a.m.
Help us dedicate a new section of the Fanno Creek Trail; we'll also recognize National Trails Day. After the ceremony, walk, roll or run on the trail.
- Frisbees and other door prizes (must be present to win).
- Help us "cut" the ribbon.
- Join us in and a new section of the Fanno Creek Trail.
Koll Wetlands (at Greenway Park)
Nature Mobile staff will conduct family oriented hands-on activities that help connect to nature, including touching natural treasures like furs or feathers and learning about local wildlife, habitats, and native plants.
Trashcan Joe (noon-3 p.m.)
Soaring vocal harmonies and modern song writing set in a soundscape harkening to the early jazz era, Trashcan Joe has a unique sound with a broad appeal. The fact that the instruments are made from recycled and found objects is quickly lost to their stellar musicianship. It’s no wonder they are a steadily working live band and have performed at events such as Pickathon, Burning Man, Oregon Public Broadcasting’s Live Wire, the Northwest Folklife Festival in Seattle , Oregon Country Fair, and were the house band at the Candidates Gone Wild at the Roseland Theater.
Basic Inspection and Quick Tune Station (5-10 minute fixes for free). Learn more about bike maintenance and pick up coupon for store visit.
- Stay to the right, single file - except to pass.
- Call out "pass on left" as you approach bikes and walkers in front of you.
- Step off trail to chat with friends or make repairs or stop.
- Keep dogs on a short leash and to your right.
- Runners yield to walkers.
- Bikes yield to pedestrians.
- Follow all bike and bike helmet laws.
For ADA Title II Accommodations
Parking: Intersection of Denney Rd and Fanno Creek Greenway Park parking lot. (see map)
For additional information or questions: Lisa Novak, Lnovak@thprd.org, 503/645-6433
Parking: On street parking is available near trail access points. See map to identify a trail access point convenient to you.
Disc golf course is closed on June 24th until 6 p.m.
Thank you - Volunteers and Safety Partners
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) volunteers
Individuals and volunteer teams
Beaverton Police Department
ODOT's Region 1 Crew
Washington County Sheriff
- Click here for event flyer or other information