Conestoga sets open house to celebrate expansion
The Conestoga Recreation & Aquatic Center will hold an open house on Aug. 22 to celebrate its bond measure-funded expansion and service improvement project. The public is invited to the free event, which will run from 3 to 7:30 p.m.
Conestoga is located at 9985 SW 125th Avenue in south Beaverton, right next to Southridge High School.
Highlights will include free use of the new splash pad and fitness room, free swimming at Conestoga's two pools, a free hot dog meal, guided tours, displays, prizes and information.
A brief dedication ceremony will be held starting at 6 p.m. Speakers will include U.S. Rep. Suzanne Bonamici and Beaverton Mayor Denny Doyle as well as Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District officials.
Owned and operated by THPRD, Conestoga provides a wide variety of recreational classes, programs, special events and other activities for all age groups.
The facility has been heavily used by the public since its opening in 1998. When THPRD submitted a bond measure to voters in November 2008, $5.3 million of it was earmarked for renovation and expansion of Conestoga.
The measure passed, and construction of the Conestoga project began June 14, 2011. The center has remained open throughout the construction period and all major work was finished by mid-July 2012. A few minor issues are being addressed now and completion of the bond project is expected by the end of August.
The project has produced many major benefits for Conestoga users:
- THPRD created a new 4,500-square-foot splash pad, or water playground, featuring a waterfall, above-ground toys and in-ground and wall nozzles that spray water in different patterns and directions, giving children (and adults) a new way to cool off and have fun during warm weather months. The splash pad is the first within THPRD boundaries and is ADA- accessible.
- A new 3,140-square-foot fitness room, more than triple the size of its predecessor, was established. In addition, new workout equipment was installed. This responds to strong and steadily increasing demand from patrons for fitness opportunities.
- A new women's locker room with double the previous space and two new family changing rooms were built. The men's locker room was also expanded.
- A new 1,150-square-foot multi-purpose classroom was added with a modern audio-visual system.
- An additional 22 parking spaces were created to accommodate greater vehicular traffic.
- A new patio space was built above the women’s locker room and the west lawn was revamped to make it more usable.
- New security and fire alarm systems were installed.
For more information about the open house, or for inquiries about recreational programs and activities at Conestoga, call the center at 503/629-6313.
Formed in 1955, THPRD is the largest special park district in Oregon, spanning about 50 square miles and serving more than 220,000 residents in the greater Beaverton area. The district provides year-round recreational opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. Offerings include a wide variety of classes, 90 park sites with active recreational amenities, 60 miles of trails, eight swim centers, six recreation centers, and 1,400 acres of natural areas. For more information, visit www.thprd.org or call 503/645-6433.
Director – Communications
|Date: August 13, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Click here for official release (PDF).