The goal of the THPRD Family Assistance Program is to ensure that all Park District residents have access to recreation programs. If you cannot afford the fees, this program may help.
Family Assistance application form (PDF)
1. Amount of Family Assistance to be granted
- If your family/household qualifies, you could receive up to $200 per person per year in fee waivers for THPRD and affiliated youth sports league programs. The funds will be made available in two $100 allotments, six months apart.
2. What You Need to Know to Apply
- If you live within THPRD boundaries and your household income is below federal poverty guidelines (see chart), you are eligible.
- If you live within THPRD boundaries and your household income is between the federal poverty guidelines and the federal free meal guidelines, you may be approved for Family Assistance but will need to pay 10 percent of the requested funds or $20 per person. The payment must be received before Family Assistance funds are made available.
- You must be entered in the district database and have a valid THPRD residency card.
- A household is defined as any number of related individuals living in a single residence (home or apartment), up to six unrelated individuals living in a single residence, or any number of individuals living in a single licensed group home.
- Income will be verified. You must attach proof of income such as two months of paychecks stubs for all working members of the family. You may also attach award letters for the following: food stamps, social security or disability, TANF or unemployment. If you have no income at all or other special circumstances, please describe your situation on a seperate piece of paper.
For your own protection, please block out any social security numbers on any document you provide THPRD to make them unreadable. Once verified, proof of income information will either be handed back to you or shredded. THPRD will not keep this information on file.
If you have a complete lack of income or other special circumstance, please describe your situation on a separate piece of paper and submit it with your application.
- Applications are accepted year-round. You may apply once each year and your fee waivers are valid for one full year from the date of activation.
- Applications are available in English and Spanish at every THPRD facility and online. They will be available in English in the activities guide and the summer camp booklet.
- Unused Family Assistance fee waiver amounts will not be carried over from the first six month period to the next. You may use your Family Assistance fee waivers at any time during the six months, all at once, or spread throughout the six months. Once the amount for that six month period is used, additional fee waivers will not be available until the end of the six month period. After the second six month period has expired you are eligible to apply for Family Assistance again.
- Registration for THPRD programs occurs every December (winter classes), March (spring classes), April (summer classes and camps.) Fall registration dates have yet to be announced. Please plan ahead to assure you budget the use of your Family Assistance fee waivers.
3. Registration Information
- Registration for Spring will begin Saturday, March 7th at 8 a.m. You may register that day by calling 503/439-9400 or online at www.thprd.org.
- If you plan to use Family Assistance to register your child for an affiliated sports league, you will be able to do so as long as there is enough in your Family Assistance account to cover the cost. For youth sports leagues or other similar programs, the parent or legal guardian will need to follow that organization’s enrollment procedures. THPRD does not enroll individuals in affiliated sports programs.
- Family Assistance funds are only to be used for general programs and classes. Funds cannot be used for facility rentals, birthday parties, private lessons or the purchase of items (goggles, swim caps, towels) at THPRD Centers.
This page was last updated on Monday May 04 2015 at 12:28 PM.