Howard M. Terpenning Complex
Located at 158th Avenue and SW Walker Road in Beaverton, Oregon, the Howard M. Terpenning Recreation Complex is the crown jewel of the Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District. It receives an estimated 650,000 visits per year.
The award-winning, 92-acre complex, which features a variety of high-quality sports facilities, is named for visionary leader Howard M. Terpenning. He served as general manager of the district for 33 years, from 1959 through 1992.
Facilities on the HMT Complex
- Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center (50-meter)
- Tualatin Hills Athletic Center
- Tualatin Hills Tennis Center
HMT Complex history
The offices for the Park District, which was formed in 1955, were originally located in the Beaverton Swim Center before moving to Raleigh Park in the 1960s. In the early 1970s, Terpenning (left) and the board of directors led a push to purchase land and build one large sports complex. The location on the corner of 158th and Walker, primarily farmland at the time, was identified as an ideal area.
The Park District initially purchased 66 acres at $10,000 an acre from the Waterhouse family in the mid-1970s with funding from the 1974 bond measure. Staff moved into offices in August 1978 and the complex, which cost $5 million to build, was dedicated on March 31, 1979. Gov. Victor Atiyeh was the featured speaker and thousands of residents took part in the opening ceremony.
The HMT Complex in the early 1980s.
The original complex included the Administration Office, the Tennis Center, and an Aquatic Center with a 50-meter pool. There was one baseball field (lit), four softball fields (one lit) and three soccer fields (one lit). The property also included a 10-acre natural area and the Maintenance Department compound.
Throughout the 1980s, the Park District invested in lighting for every outdoor sports venue. The Peg Ogilbee Dry Land Training Center, part of the Aquatic Center, was added in the mid-1980s.
In 1992, THPRD purchased an additional 26 acres just north of the original complex. The acquisition included the historic Schlottmann House. The home was moved just south and west of its original location and restored. Today, it houses the Maintenance and Security offices just off of 158th.
The additional land also created room for two more soccer fields, a baseball field, a softball field, an outdoor roller hockey rink and associated parking – all of which was furnished with environmentally friendly lighting.
A successful bond measure effort in 1994 included funding for the construction of the Tualatin Hills Athletic Center, which was dedicated in January of 1997. The Athletic Center holds six indoor basketball courts, locker rooms, an indoor running track, a learning center and offices. The courts are also used for volleyball, badminton, pickleball and table tennis. Four smaller outdoor basketball courts with an all-weather surface and lighting were included in the project.
A skate park was built and unveiled to the public in the summer of 1999. ESPN’s nationally televised B3 (bikes, boards and blades) event highlighted the opening. A second skate park, designed primarily for beginners, was added in 2008.
In 2000-01, a covered play structure for young children was built near the original softball fields in the southern portion of the complex. A second play structure was added in 2007.
Additional upgrades in the last decade include a state-of-the-art, multipurpose synthetic surface for Soccer Field No. 1 (2002). Synthetic turf was also installed on Soccer Field No. 2 (2006). And the Tennis Center dedicated an outdoor Stadium Court with spectator seating (2007).
Honors and awards
The complex has won numerous awards over the years. They include:
- Oregon Recreation & Park Association’s Outstanding Facility Design Award, Athletic Center, 1997
- United States Tennis Association’s Outstanding Tennis Facility Award, Tennis Center, 1989
- USTA’s Member Organization of the Year Award, Tennis Center, 2002
- USTA Public Facility Funding Grant recipient, Tennis Center, 2005
- ORPA Aquatic Maintenance Award, Aquatic Center, 1989
- National Recreation & Park Association Excellence in Aquatics Award, Aquatic Center, 1999
A busy place
Today, the HMT Complex is the main hub of Park District activity. Every July hosts Party in the Park, the district’s largest community event of the year.
HMT is home to thousands of soccer, lacrosse, football, baseball and softball games and tournaments each year. The Tennis Center hosts regional high school, college, league and open tennis events. The Aquatic Center holds state swimming, diving and water polo competitions, and the Athletic Center hums year-round with sports programs and camps for youths and adults.
The local, state, regional, national and international tournaments held at HMT each year contribute significantly to the Beaverton-area economy.
What we offer
Currently, HMT Complex amenities include:
- 15 tennis courts, including the Stadium Court. Six indoor courts are housed within the Tennis Center. Eight outdoor courts are converted to indoor during the winter months with two air structures, which were added in 1991 and 2006
- Three sand-based soccer fields, two full-sized and one U-12
- Two multipurpose synthetic turf fields for soccer, football and lacrosse
- Five softball fields with dirt infields
- Two baseball fields with 90-foot base paths, grass infields and scoreboards
- Two skate parks
- Roller hockey rink
- Six indoor basketball courts inside the Athletic Center with four smaller all-weather outdoor basketball courts
- 50-meter pool with 1-meter and 3-meter springboards and 5-meter, 7 ½-meter and 10-meter diving platforms
- 10-acre natural area with walking trails
- Two covered play structures
- Lights for all amenities
Formed in 1955, THPRD is the largest special park district in Oregon, spanning about 50 square miles and serving 230,000 residents in the greater Beaverton area. The district provides year-round recreational opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. Offerings include thousands of widely diverse classes, more than 90 park sites with active recreational amenities, 60 miles of trails, eight swim centers, six recreation centers, and 1,400 acres of natural areas.
This page was last updated on Tuesday November 25 2014 at 2:14 PM.