As you are aware, Oregon has had a historically wet winter and spring, with more than ten inches of precipitation last month alone. As a result, our crews are doing everything they can to get saturated, unplayable grass fields ready for the upcoming season.
Unfortunately, it is going to take a period of several dry days to significantly improve the current field conditions, so we are making the difficult decision to keep all grass fields closed through Sunday, March 26. On Monday, March 27, we will reassess field conditions and determine when spring play will begin.
Wet field conditions can result in serious injury and significant field damage. Safety is our first priority, and our policy is to keep fields closed when any of the following conditions are in effect:
- One inch (or more) of precipitation in preceding 12 hours.
- Outside air temperature of 32 degrees or lower.
- Ice, snow, frost or slush present on the playing surface.
- Upon stepping on the playing surface, water shoots up or pools around a foot.
- A foot sinks into grass or leaves a print.
- Visible bodies of surface water are present on the field.
Please know we understand and share in your disappointment. You have our assurance that our dedicated crews will be ready to go once we get a break in the weather. We are motivated – just as you are – to get the season underway as soon as possible.
Finally, a gentle reminder that field closures include the entire site, including all grass areas, under covered areas and tennis courts. THPRD permits do not provide access to covered areas at school sites. If you wish to access these areas, please reserve them through BSD’s reservation system.
Thanks for your understanding.